Friday, July 25

Water - The Low Down

"You do a little dance and then you drink a little water." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

We all know drinking water is important. Here are some interesting facts about water (compiled from articles in Real Simple):

Seven Wonders of Water:
1. Cuts risk for colon, breast and bladder cancer.
2. Increases energy and diminishes headaches.
3. Helps the body absorb nutrients.
4. Prevents kidney stones, urinary tract infections and constipation.
5. Decreases the risk of injuries, pulls and strains.
6. Boosts mental performance.
7. Aids in weight loss.

Real Simple's article "Nine things you need to know about water" is an excellent source of information on water. I was especially happy to read that other drinks count towards staying hydrated. The article also addresses the concerns about tap water and how to test your own.

"New water," waters enhanced with vitamins, minerals and herbs, do not "appear to be harmful or contain excessive amounts of nutrients," according to a R.D. But, new waters have additional calories. Real Simple tasters rated VitaminWater by Glaceau and E20 Energy Water by Hansen's as the best new waters - but these two also had the highest calorie counts. If you are bored of plain water, make herbal iced tea for a refreshing, tasty, no-calorie drink instead.

Personally, I like Fruit20 by Veryfine with zero calories or the new single serving drink mixes, these are easy to carry and many contain zero calories.

Opinion Based

I am not paid for the magazines I feature, products I mention nor the websites I display. I really read the magazines and pick out the best stuff I find. Savorites (saved+favories) are items that I actually use or sites I actually visit.