Friday, August 8

Easy Container Gardens

"Cause next year this time I'ma sell out the Garden." -Wyclef Jean

Live in an apartment or condo where there is no place to plant a garden, or anything for that matter? Take these ideas, where you can even plant vegetables.

Potted herb garden

Potted salad garden

Potted cutting garden

Also, try planting nasturtiums, which cascade out of pots or climb trellises, they are a cinch to grow. Sort of remind me of morning glory's, except these are edible with an intense peppery flavor. They are colorful and make for lovely arrangements in salads.

Harvest: As soon as the plants begin to bloom, you can gather for eating. Opt for young flowers and small tender leaves. Nasturtiums are cut-and-come-again - the more you pick, the more they bloom so don't hold back.

Prepare: Soak them in cold water for two hours. It makes the texture of the leaves much perkier. Dry and scatter a handful over greens.
Dress: Use a tablespoon tarragon white-wine vinegar to three tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and plenty of sea salt (you won't need pepper because of the spiciness of the nasturtiums), then whisk it all up with a fork. Pour the dressing over the salad just before you ready to enjoy.

Or, wait three months or so until the plants are well established before picking for arranging; that way, you'll get good long trailing stems. After cutting, sear stem ends in boiling water for 20 seconds to increase their vase life. Trailing nasturtiums look great arranged in small vivid pitchers or glasses.

Opinion Based

I am not paid for the magazines I feature, products I mention nor the websites I display. I really read the magazines and pick out the best stuff I find. Savorites (saved+favories) are items that I actually use or sites I actually visit.