Sunday, November 2

Bare Nail Care

"All my girls get your hair fixed and your nails done put your hands up and say okay." -Nivea


For bare nails to look chic, they must be well manicured. To start, thoroughly remove old polish with an acetone remover. Clean the underside of nail tips with a soapy nail brush; dry completely. Next, file nails into desired shape (square with rounded edges is the most popular) using long, even strokes.
TIP: Do not saw back and forth with the file as this splits the nail.

The next step - buffing - is key to getting bare nails attractive. Reach for a buffing block that has both a rough surface (to smooth ridges) and a soft one (to enhance shine). Use the rough side first, buffing in an X motion - from lower left to upper right of nail surface, then vice versa. Next, use the soft side of the block in a side-to-side motion: When you hear a "squeak," it's a sign that you've obtained the sheen that's necessary for this look.

Finally, use a white pencil under nail tips. You also need to take care of your cuticles with an oil or cuticle cream. For the crispest look, finish with a coat of a clear nail brightener to protect and camouflage discoloration.

Opinion Based

I am not paid for the magazines I feature, products I mention nor the websites I display. I really read the magazines and pick out the best stuff I find. Savorites (saved+favories) are items that I actually use or sites I actually visit.